Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cooked Romaine lettuce


Cooked Romaine Lettuce

Ladies, I know this sounds a touch strange but a few years ago I had a Chinese university student stay at place on an exchange program and he was shocked we ate our head lettuce raw! He showed me how to cook head lettuce.... and it is very good.

Then, my brother got the idea- well if you can cook head lettuce bet BB'Q's romaine lettuce would be great!

Brian's BB'Q Romaine lettuce

1/2 and head of lettuce lenghtwise- sprinkle with salt, chopped garlic and pats of butter (olive oil can be used but treat yourself with the butter)
Lay face up-- allowing the larger leaves to hold the salt, garlic and butter) and BBQ for about 15 minutes- or until cooked! Yummy!

Then, I had the great idea with large amounts of romaine in stock and on sale at Costco-- (and also at a certain age it seems raw stuff gets harder on the tummy) I cooked my romaine on the stove with olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes- no recipes as pretty easy- just saute down!
Yummy- easy on the tummy-- easy on the weight- !

Later, a neat cheap and easy recipe for under 200 calories!